Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

reclaim DHCP addresses

I have setup DHCP on a router and everything is working great except that it is not reusing released addresses for use in the scope. The DHCP services are continuing to function by assigning the next sequential address from the pool. But even after manually clearing the DHCP bindings, the Server Statistics still shows expired bindings. I'm not sure if this is by design because I cannot find any information on the functionality. Will the DHCP services continue to serve addresses until the end of the pool before restarting at the beginning of the pool? Is there a way to set the DHCP services to just use the first available address in the pool?

1 REPLY

Re: reclaim DHCP addresses

I guess you are right. DHCP assigns address in sequence within the pool of addresses. But it really does not matter in which order it assigns addresses, as long as there are no duplicates.

If by any chance you have reserved the addresses, then those addresses will be assinged to only that host and will not be used for other hosts.

Views
Helpful
Replies