cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended platform for CW2000-LMS

hinesd
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning an implementation of CW2000-LMS.

I have approx. 150 routers/switches. After reading Cisco's recommendations on CPU/memory, I was wonderign what the real world thinks about...

Platform Windows or Solaris?

System reqirements?

5 Replies 5

minielsen
Level 2
Level 2

I have recently done an implementation with 70-80 devices running RME, CV, CM and RTM from LMS 2.0 on Windows 2000 SP1 with 1152 MB of memory and a single 700 MHz CPU using a 800 MHz portable with 256 MB of memory as web GUI without any performance problems at all. I think you can do the same. The important thing is memory and CPU on BOTH sides (server and especially client).

For another customer with 1500 devices that also want to run DFM we recommend two separate Solaris boxes.

BR. Michael.

And keep/install RTM on a separate server. Having both CW2K and RTM on the single 700MHz CPU is no good.

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

iswift
Level 1
Level 1

Go for greater than the specified memory, and get a recent machine as this suite really hammers CPU periodically as well.

I agree with the other correspondent about splitting DFM or RTM over two boxes.

Personally I prefer Windows platforms as I find them easier to admininister but the processes are likely to be better behaved on a Solaris machine. I have done several installs on one machine and for smaller networks you can happily live with a single box.

pboulo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

unix is easier to troubleshoot problems and has built in tools to help like truss and snoop.

intel is cheaper and is fairly reliable but when you get a nasty problem the only thing you can do is "reboot"

my 2 cents.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: