cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Record of the last configuration change or update done on the router.

vijayendran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I have a query with respect to my router displaying the below two lines as the first two lines of output of the "show run" command.

router#sh run

! Last configuration change at 05:43:11 GMT Sat Jun 19 1993

! NVRAM config last updated at 05:43:14 GMT Sat Jun 19 1993

In the year 2003, have often changed the configuration of the router and updated the same using "write memory" command.

But why is the router is still showing an irrelevant information as if it was configured and updated in 1993?

Thanks and regards

Vijayendran

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you issue "show calendar" command? If yes set the hardware clock using "calendar set" command (required parameters will be hour, minute, second,day etc.) and issue "clock read-calendar" command to set the software clock using the hardware clock. You can reach info about IOS clock/calendar services via http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca750.html#1001102

Regards.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

What is your "show clock" output? What i'm saying is your router's clock setting is correct?

Hi

plz find below the output of sh clock on my router..

router#sh clock

16:18:25.165 GMT Sun Jul 4 1993

Vijay

Hello,

what kind of router do you have ? Most of the low-end routers (like the 1600 Series) do not have a battery-powered hardware clock, so when you reboot the router, the time configured with the clock set command is lost. You cannot write the time to NVRAM. If you have not configured NTP or SNTP on your router, the best way to at least get some sort of indication of when a logged event occurs is to configure the logging based on the uptime of the router:

Router#conf t

Router(config)#service timestamps log uptime

It takes a bit of calculation, but I guess that is better than looking at that 1993 date.

Regards,

Georg

Hi

It is a 3640 router.

And yes, as you say we could log uptimes of the router, but then I think that will show just the duration since the ladst reboot or powering up of the router.

Rgds

Vijay

Can you issue "show calendar" command? If yes set the hardware clock using "calendar set" command (required parameters will be hour, minute, second,day etc.) and issue "clock read-calendar" command to set the software clock using the hardware clock. You can reach info about IOS clock/calendar services via http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca750.html#1001102

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: