lvilar
Level 1
Level 1

The scenario:

3 routers (A, B and C), connected to the switch via ethernet interfaces;

Router A has IP 10.10.10.1, B has IP 10.10.10.2 and C has IP 10.10.10.3;

Each router has one loopback interface;

Router A and B runs OSPF and routers B and C run EIGRP

In router B, OSPF is redistributed into EIGRP and vice-versa.

The Problem:

Router C learns the loopback IP from router A (redistributed into EIGRP) but

the next hop isn’t 10.10.10.1, but 10.10.10.2.

How can I solve this problem ?

Router A learns loopback from router C correctly (next hop = 10.10.10.3)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Currently, there is no way to tell EIGRP that the next hop is some other address on the same network, rather than the actual redistributing router. However, this feature is in progress, and should be available soon.

Russ

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

This is the normal operation. OSPF uses link state diagrams, hence the next hop is not necessarily the router from which tit learns the routes. While for EIGRP, the next hop is the router from it learns the route from.

Since C runs EIGRP only, it learns the route of A from B, hence B becomes the next hop. Conversely, A runs OSPF and hence creates a linkstate diagram from which it realises that it can reach C via the ethernet. Try if you could run OSPF on C to solve your situation

OK, it solve the problem. But I’d like to know if is possible

(via route map or other) to redistibute the route via EIGRP and

maintaining the original router that originated the route.

I’ve a large network (an ATM backbone and dozens of routers connected) and

I’m trying some changes, but this issue is making my changes with no effect.

Thanks.

This must be possible. You should do the redistribution between the interfaces of a single router, not between routers on a subnet.

In your test environment, A, B and C should all be running OSPF or EIGRP on their ethernet (network 10.10.10.0. ?) The other interfaces can run other protocols if you think this is nescessary.

Regards,

leo

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Currently, there is no way to tell EIGRP that the next hop is some other address on the same network, rather than the actual redistributing router. However, this feature is in progress, and should be available soon.

Russ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: