cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redistributing in eigrp

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

HOW WOULD I GET EIGRP TO ADVERTISE A DEFAULT ROUTE, ALSO I HAVE SEEN A COMMAND ON MY ROUTER THAT SAYS REDISTRIBUTE STATIC METRIC 5, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE METRIC IS USE FOR IN THIS CASE AND WHAT VALUES IT GOES TO ?

THANKS

9 Replies 9

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

There are 2 ways of getting EIGRP to advertise a default route:

- redistribute a protocol which already has a default route learned via it

- create a summary-address of 0.0.0.0 using 'ip summary-address eigrp 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0'

Your statement: 'redistribute static metric 5' does not make sense in the context of EIGRP since it requires specification of 5 metric values (bandwidth, delay, reliability, load, MTU). It cannot appear under a 'router eigrp ' config... where did you see it.

Pls remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Hi there

, I seem to have got it wrong, the redistribute command looked like this

router rip 100

redistribute eigrp 100 metric 5

what is this ?

In this case, you're redistributing EIGRP 100 into RIP, so metric 5 would mean 5 hops.

Hi there

So does that mean it will include this for up to 5 hops ?, i didnt realise metric meant that !!

Hi there, would the summary address look like this for example

ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.10

would this send any unknown traffic to 10.1.1.10 ?

The statement should read:

ip summary-address eigrp 100 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

You don't specify a next-hop address when using this. The router which receives it will automatically associate a next-hop address with the route based on which interface it was received on. And yes, it will be used as a default route for all unknown traffic.

Paresh

what is this statement exactly saying then ? its not very clear where its sending the packets ?

Hello Carl, I dont mean to be offensive in any means, but I believe you should take a look on the following link and read a bit about EIGRP and routing protocols.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hirp_c/ch07/erconfig.htm#wp1001069

Anyway, this is an interface command that will instruct the router to send a summary address with the network you put there.

Router(config-if)# ip summary-address eigrp autonomous-system-number ip-address mask

ip summary-address eigrp 1 172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0

It will advertise the route 172.16.0.0/16 to its adj router.

hope this help,

btw, I havent seen any rates from you in any post.

Thanks

Vlad,

Hi there, thx for your help, so where would I put this statement, would it be on an interface, I dont actually have control of our internet router so would I have to redistribute a static route ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: