Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribution with RIP and OSPF

yangtony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Please help.

During redistribution between RIP and OSPF. If the ASBR is configured with /28 to the OSPF routers. RIP is not able to see the /28 unless it is a /24. However, static routes are not permitted on the CCIE lab exam. What other options are available? Is static route to null 0 interface with redistribute static permitted on the lab exam?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Hi there, What you need to do is, on the ABR that advertises /28 routes, give a summarization command summarizing the /28 network to the /24 network.

Assume R1 is a ABR which adverties 172.16.1.0/28 (area 2) and 172.16.1.16/28 (area 2) into area 0.

area 0 has an ASBR which redistributes ospf into Rip. So Rip wont get the /28 routes. Fo this in R1, configure the fol..command in router ospf mode.

area 2 range 172.16.1.0 255.255.255.0

This summarizes both the routes into /24 and the advertises this summary route into area 0

The ASBR will now redistribute this route to RIP, as the mask is uniform.

CCIE lab i belive, would not permit use of static routes unless otherwise specified.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your quick response.

ABR summarization is not a problem with redistribution to RIP. My problem is RIP not seeing routes from area 0 with multiple /28s. Rip has a serial link connected to OSPF via ASBR.

Please advise.

Try enabling RIP v2.

give "version 2" in router rip mode. The routers will start seeing the routes

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Unfortunately, Version 2 is not allowed.

Sincerely,

Do you mean to say that, RIP v2 is not allowed in CCIE lab exam, or you dont want to use it ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

In this particular exercise, it is not allowed.

I also would like to know, in case, it appears on the exam.

Thanks

I would love to know the same tooo...

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW