cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy for cisco 4507

moorthy1977
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco 4507 switch & i had configured sup redundancy.please find the below config

redundancy

mode rpr

main cpu

auto-sync standard

Please let me know whether above config is right.if one sup goes down another should be in position to take the control.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

That config is Ok but you are configuring RPR redundency which is a very old method of redundancy on 4500'. This will give you a switchover time of 2-3 minutes.

I would recommend to go for new method NSF with SSO which will give you a 2-3 seconds of switchovertime. Please find the document below and configure the same.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_31s/conf/nsfwsso.htm

HTH, please rate if it does.

-amit singh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Friend,

That config is Ok but you are configuring RPR redundency which is a very old method of redundancy on 4500'. This will give you a switchover time of 2-3 minutes.

I would recommend to go for new method NSF with SSO which will give you a 2-3 seconds of switchovertime. Please find the document below and configure the same.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_2_31s/conf/nsfwsso.htm

HTH, please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Amit,

I tried doing a IOS upgrade on 4507 R with redundant sups and rpr turned on. This is the procedure I am following:

1. Copy the new IOS to bootflash and slavebootflash.

2. Change the bootvariable to load new IOS.

3. Change the config reg to 0x2

4. wr mem

5. show bootvar does show the new IOS for active and standby.

6. use the command reload redundancy peer which reloads the standby sup.

(Wait till all the sync is completed)

7. use the command redundancy force-switchover which makes the active as standby and standby as active.

In this whole procedure the failover should be streamlined. But after giving the command redundancy force-switchover it takes 45-50 seconds before everything becomes normal.

Am I missing something?

Is this is the normal time for the switchover to happen?

If this happens than it can not be called as smooth switchover. I should only see 4-5 ping drops.

Wht is wrong?

Dev

With RPR, it is normal since the standby Supervisor would not have booted up fully and hence line cards has to be reset. With SSO, the standby Supervisor would have fully booted up and does not have this problem.

SSO with NSF needs 12.2(31)SG. If you are looking at stability, 12.2(25)EWA5 which supports SSO(without NSF) should be good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: