Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Redundant DHCP across subnets...

I've been tasked with recommending a redundant DHCP solution in our corporate building. Here's the layout:

16 floors, each with a floor server doing DHCP and F&P for the PC's on that floor. Each floor is it's own subnet (ie. 172.16.6.x, indicates the 6th floor and x is the host).

Anyway, each floor has one or more hubs and a Cisco 2924 switch. All floor switches are connected to a Cisco 6509 in the data center on floor 13 (172.16.13.x)

To test, I created a backup DHCP scope on our domain PDC which is also in the data center on floor 13. Then I disabled the scope on floor 6 and tried to release and renew from a laptop plugged into the 2924 on floor 6. NOTHING! :-(

Any ideas on what I need to make this work? The 2924 is a layer 2 device so it should forward any broadcasts, but what about the 6509? Is there special config I need to do on that switch since it's a multilayer switch?

Thanks!

Dave

4 REPLIES

Re: Redundant DHCP across subnets...

I have not worked with the 6509, but I would dare to say you would have to configure a DHCP relay. The reason I think this is that even though it is a layer 3 switch it would still control the broadcast. Otherwise it would be a very noisy network. There must be in the existing configuration a DHCP helper (relay) set up.

Where are your floor 6 clients getting DHCP from now? Is it a device on the local broadcast domain? For a backup, throw an ip helper-address on the interface closest to the client, at the router that gets you to the backup dhcp server. feel free to email me if i can help.

shaun.skillin@inetexperts.net

Hi Shaun:

Each floor has it's own server which does DHCP and F&P for just that floor. If the floor server is down, we don't want the clients to be unable to work if they don't get an IP address.

I guess the ip helper would have to go on the 6509 switch, since the 2900 series switches (on the floors) are only layer 2 switches.

Dave

As skiilin reccommends that the ip-helper address needs to be configured on the appropriate interface to direct your broadcast to a unicast to the backup dhcp server. this will sort it out.

Views
Helpful
Replies