Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Redundant DHCP

Hi all,

anyone experience with configuring DHCP on two coreswitches with the same scopes as a redundant setup ?

Thanks,

J

6 REPLIES

Re: Redundant DHCP

now tell me about you connectivity and configuration... means you are using HSRP or what...

or you can configure like this...

let say you have the range of IP addresses like: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.200

now let say we divide this scopes in to two part...

1.) 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100

2.) 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.200

now configure one switchA with DHCP pool 192.168.1.1 which is acitve scope and use other scope which is 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.200on same witch but as exclude range...

same on other switchB with DHCP pool 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.200 as acitive pool and use other pool which is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.100 as exclude range...

hope this will work...

rate this post if it works

regards

Devang

No not really.

Two coreswitches with HSRP if you want.

DHCP on both with the same scopes and no exclusions.

So if one switch failes, the other one has to take over the DHCP service.

Hi,

That won't work as the management of the duplicate IP Addresses would be very difficult or shall I say impossible.

Regards,

Wilson samuel

That's just the trick. It seems that the DHCP sevrer will first ping the address it will try to give out. When it gets a reply it will mak the address as "in use" and will continiue with the next possible one.

I've seen this in use, but try to get some people who have also experience with this.

Thanks for your reply

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Johan

You may have an implementation which checks and protects against duplicate address assignment. I am not confident that all implementations of DHCP server will do this. In general it is considered best practice to not have the same scope defined in different servers.

HTH

Rick

i dont think so it will creat the problem with duplicate ip address... as you are having the first half range of the ip address is excluded in one server and other half is excluded in other server... so if one clinet goes to switchA then it will have ip address from the first half range and if it will reach to the second server then it will have the ip address from the other half range... and client get the ip address from the server who get client request first and reponse to client...

this may work...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content