Helpful
Replies

redundant link with 2950 and 2 routers

kristofpoppe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My first question 'bout the 2950 catalyst switch

We have two leased lines to a remote site with two different service providers. Each provider has his own router in our central office (let's say 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2) Due load balancing, 50% of the clients is connected over a switch with the first router (their default gateway is 1.1, let say service provider A) the other 50% have 1.2 as default gateway (connected over service provider 2)and go over another 2950 catalyst. When a router or line fails, 50% of the site is down. I want a solution in wich I can easy connect al the clients over one working router. Is it possible to configure the switch as default gateway ? So when a leased line is down, I just place a network cable from the switch with the defunct router to the other switch. And the swithes have to figure out the gateway that is active. The clients use the IP from the switch as their default gateway, so they don't have to know witch router is working and witch not. Also other solutions to this problem are welcome!

2 Replies 2

terry.knight
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any possible solution depends entirely on what you consider to be most important. i.e. continuity of service or "load balancing". It will also depend very heavily on who has administrative control over the 2 routers, you or your service provider(s)?

We don't have any control on the routers. We can always make a proposition to our service providers to change the configuration. Most important for uw is the continuity of service. Now we're using software that detects if a router is down. If so, the default gateway in de windows TCP/IP settings is changed. But this doesn't always works fine, so we're searching for an 'hardware'-solution.