cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant "match" statement in 3550

george_daly
Level 1
Level 1

Wondering if anyone can help to shed light on this.

When I copy a config over TFTP to the running-config on a 3550 I see a load of 'Redundant "match" statement' errors.

There are hundreds of class-map statements in there using ACLs and policy maps to throttle bandwidth.

Does anyone know a way to see which particular class-map statement the errors are referring to?

'Show log' doesn't show anything relevant to the error.

Any advice much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George

I am going to take a slightly different approach than Shumon has taken in explaining the symptoms that you describe. When you say that you are copying a config from TFTP to running-config I am assuming that you are copying the existing config with some modifications to the running-config. If that is not true then you might clarify what you are copying and I may revise my explanation.

Assuming that you are copying a somewhat complete config to running-config we need to understand that copying TFTP to running config forms a merge of the TFTP file with the running config. If there is a match statement in the running-config and then the config from TFTP attempts to insert the same match. This is what produces the error about redundant match. The IOS is complaining that you are attempting to insert a match that already exists in the config.

I believe that there are several ways that can deal with this situation. One is to understand why you are copying the entire config back to the router. Perhaps you can copy a config file that has only the statements that are changing rather than the complete config. Another alternative would be to insert statements into the config file that you are copying that removes the match statement before you attempt to insert it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

Only one ACL per class map and only one match class-map configuration command per class map are supported. The ACL can have multiple access control entries, which are commands that match fields against the contents of the packet"

In Cisco IOS release 121-8.EA1c, this restriction was enforced in the parser. As such prevented the user from applying this unsupported config. However, It appears since the feature "per-port-per-vlan classification", was added to the 3550, this check in the parser seems to have lifted. Thus allowing users to apply multiple match statements for each class-map.

The Catalyst 3560 and 3750, still do not support "per-port-per-vlan classification", still enforce this single match statement restriction in the parser

George

I am going to take a slightly different approach than Shumon has taken in explaining the symptoms that you describe. When you say that you are copying a config from TFTP to running-config I am assuming that you are copying the existing config with some modifications to the running-config. If that is not true then you might clarify what you are copying and I may revise my explanation.

Assuming that you are copying a somewhat complete config to running-config we need to understand that copying TFTP to running config forms a merge of the TFTP file with the running config. If there is a match statement in the running-config and then the config from TFTP attempts to insert the same match. This is what produces the error about redundant match. The IOS is complaining that you are attempting to insert a match that already exists in the config.

I believe that there are several ways that can deal with this situation. One is to understand why you are copying the entire config back to the router. Perhaps you can copy a config file that has only the statements that are changing rather than the complete config. Another alternative would be to insert statements into the config file that you are copying that removes the match statement before you attempt to insert it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

The command copy tftp run mergers the configuration with the existing and thats why you are seeing the error.

THe command copy run start does a overwrite

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: