cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant routers using HSRP and IPX problems

qmcnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 6509s with VLAN interfaces using HSRP. I have 2950s on the edge and connect to the 6509s via 3550s. TCP/IP works fine. The problem is I cannot connect to Netware 4.x servers across VLANs. Rconsole also gives me a blank server list. When I manually shutdown the standby VLAN interface on the secondary router I can access my resources, but if both the primary and secondary interfaces are active, I cannot access any IPX resources. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you configured IPX network numbers on VLAN interfaces of both MSFC? If you have, capture a sniffer trace(client port as well as server port)

Yes, I have the proper ipx numbers configured. The secondary standby interface has a priority of 90. Another note: this is a new network infrastructure connecting to an existing flat ethernet. The flat ethernet is coming in on only the primary 6509 as vlan 1. There is no standby interface for vlan 1.

Sorry, learning as we go. We now understand why IPX wasn't working. Both interfaces were active on the same segment. I'll post a new question regarding high availability and redundancy on a new thread.