Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant SUP2 conversion

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

I have a 6509 which has 2 sup2s in it, running in Hybrid mode. I have to convert them to Native mode, what would be the easiest way to do it, it terms of downtime???

should i take one of the sups out (redundant), i have a spare 6509 chassis). I can convert the sup2 A to native and load the config on it ahead of time. Then i can take this sup2A to the original switch and pop this in as the primary sup.

Will the other sup automatically get the new Natice IOS image and the config as part of the syncrnication??? or do i have to do the same step all over again??

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will have to convert both manually. Your best bet is to remove one sup from the switch and convert it in your spare chassis. Then replace the newly converted and configured supervisor in the live chassis and then convert the second one.

This is mentioned in the conversion doc:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/81.html#convert

Have a question for you. I will follow your advice. If i have a 128MB flash card, can i take the redundant sup2 from the existing switch format the bootflash and put native IOS on it and using the same sup2A also do the same thing (format and load same IOS) on the flash card.

That way when the time comes all i have to do it swap the flash card on the other sup ( Hybrid), and program it to load its image from the external flash, one proble i might have is the auto sync feature, i think it might cause a problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

If i understand you correctly, once you convert the first one, you want to use the flash card and insert it into the remaining hybrid supervisor and simply point the boot statements to the flash card?

That won't work, because you will still need to go into the RP rommon and erase the NVRAM. I don't recommend skipping any of the steps in the conversion guide.

Additionally, I'm not entirely certain that the hybrid sup will be able to boot from the flash card that is formatted with the IOS file system. I haven't tried it myself, but that might be something to be wary of.

HTH,

Bobby

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: