Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started.

Redundant supervisor engine

Hello ,

We have 6509 MLS and 4506 (L2 Sup engine ) in our Network with single sup engine in each . We are planning to go for Redundant sup engine for 6509 as well as 4506 . How about GBIC ports in Redundant sup engine ?. The current sup engine module in both 6509 & 4506 have 2 GBIC ports . Does the Redundant sup engine module also comes with 2 GBIC ports ?

Thanks.

Raju

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
5 REPLIES

Re: Redundant supervisor engine

A 4506 will not support redundant sup's, you need a 4507R. There are also issues with uplinks on the sups when you go the redundant route. There are some documents on CCO that explain it well but unfortunately I dont have the links handy.

Cheers

mips

Cisco Employee

4507R with Sup4 or Sup2+ supports redundant Sups. In CAT4507, only interfaces 1/1 and 2/1 will be active with redundant Sups

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/177.html#topic2

In CAT6500, all the uplinks(4 in all) on the Supervisor engines will be active.

Thank you. Is there any link to explain how to configure Redundant sup engine in 6509.

Thanks .

Thank you . Assume that I have two sup engines in slot 1 and slot 2 respectively , slot1 engine is active and slot2 is in standby mode . How about giga ports (2 GE ports ) in standby engine ?. Will it be active and can I use these ports for uplink connectivity (OR ) it will be inactive ?.

Regards,

Raju

Views
Helpful
Replies