cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Supervisor Module

jpelletier
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5500 series switch with 2 Supervisor engine modules ws-x5530. One the active(mod 1) and one for standby(mod 2). Problem: When you issue a show module command you don't see module 2 at all(should have standby designation). A show mod 2 = Module 2 is not installed. Both are the same type (III), the led in mod2 does indicate standby(orange). Do both have to have uplink cards to be the "same", I didn't think so. Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Console into the Supervisor engine in slot 2 and see if it's in rommon. If it is, do a "dir bootflash:" or a "dir slot0:" and boot if you have a valid image

Regards,

-Prashanth

How can you do that when the standby supervisor engine's console port is inactive(see Cisco link)?http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sft_6_1/configgd/redund.htm#xtocid2195527

The Console of standby supervisor engine is inactive only if it's fully booted. If the Standby Sup is in Rommon, you will see a rommon1> when you console in. Once you issue the boot statement and as the Sup begins to boot, the console becomes inactive and if you switch back to the active Sup, you can do a show module and you should see the second Sup.

Regards,

-Prashanth

Thank you for the info I will try that.

So even if you don't see it as "standby" in the show command it still is a standby? Or must you see it in standby mode to know both the images are the same?

You should see it as standby..Here is capture from one switch

Console> (enable) show module

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --------

1 1 4 100BaseFX MMF Supervisor WS-X5530 ok

2 2 4 100BaseFX MMF Supervisor WS-X5530 standby