cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

redundency

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

if I have 2 serials connected to a remote site, How would I set it up so that one of the links is not used until the other goes down ?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

this you can achieve using simple static routes one without any admin distance and the other one with some admin distance.

So in normal conditions the route without any admin distance will be preferred and used for forwarding your traffic once the same goes down it will be removed off from the table and the other route with some admin distance will be still there to forward ur traffic.

once the primary link comes up your routing table will be back to normal by recalling the original static without any admin distance and the traffic will flow via that primary link.

regds

Would I need 2 routers for this ? or can I just have 2 serials on each, & what would each ip address be for the serials ?

Carl,

You need one router with 2 serails on that. You can set it up in 2 ways.

1 As pointed out by Edwin in his orevous post.

2. Define one interface as back for another using command " backup interface < int_no > and also using the floating static route.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco