Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Reliable Static Routing Backup without object traching!

Hi

We have a leased line which has backup with a tunnel interface over internet. The backup is configured with static routes with administrative distances. So if primary link goes down backup route works fine. But today i encountered a problem which i cannot resolve yet. The primary link is up at both ends but they cannot ping each other. So i know there is a object tracking issue for this purpose but my routers ios images doesnt support it. So can any one suggest another method for backup configuration with static routes in which primary route is removed from routing table when it cannot reach other end?

Best Regards

3 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Reliable Static Routing Backup without object traching!

Hi,

There aren't too many ways of doing reliable static route backup without object tracking... that's why static route tracking was implemented !

Having said that, why don't you consider running a simple IGP over your primary link, with a floating static route backing that up. It is extremely easy to get something like EIGRP running on your primary link. When you stop learning your routes via EIGRP, the floating static will kick in.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks a lot, but just one more thing: what administrative distance i must give to static route?

Regards

Green

By default (i.e., unspecified), a static route to the "next hop" - an IP address) will get an AD of 1.

To use it as a "floating static," you'd wnat to specify it as some value higher then the protocol you're using.

For example RIP uses an AD of 120 by default, to use a floating static with RIP, you'd set it to ~130 or higher.

That way, if the routing protocol is working, the path determined by the routing protocol (because it has a lower AD) will be in-effect. If that path drops, it's removed from the routing/forwarding table, and the static route is operational.

Any value higher than the routing protocol's AD should work.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content