Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remole access to multiple cisco routers via console ports

HELP!!

I am trying to provide access from the Internet to a stack of cisco routers via their console ports for the purpose of educational instruction. I have students who need to be able to console into several routers and configure them as if they were there in front of the devices. The routers are NOT part of any live networks, as they will often have no configurations at all. I don't know where to start in this task.

Any suggestions of products to use to provide this remote access (most likely from the Internet) to the routers in this lab environment? Is it possible to use Windows 2000 server to provide this access?

Any advice would help.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Remole access to multiple cisco routers via console ports

I would consider two options

(1) If possible, arrange one modem and one phone line per such router and let

students dial in. Ofcourse for that , you need to provide an additional modem

and a phone line to each student as well.

(2) Buy a 2nd hand terminal server like the old 2511 Cisco router or if feasible

(cost wise) a 2600 with appropriate NM-xA card and make sure you

arrange for a valid IP address for that terminal server that students could

telnet to through the internet. Thats probably going to be the cheaper way.

For terminal server config , you could use the following :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/793/access_dial/comm_server.html

~Zulfi

Bronze

The cisco cs-516 and cs-508 work the same as the 2511 routers with 16 and 8 async ports and 1 ethernet. They are usually on ebay for $100-200; much less than the 2511. I use one in my lab and telnet to it through my internet firewall. Each router plugs into an async port with a rollover console cable and you configure reverse telnet to access each router. its a standrd lab setup that works local and remote.

Anonymous
N/A

Does anyone have documentation on the cs-516? I looked all over cisco.com and find nothing. I know its an old product. If anyoned has the docs or info on how to use please let me know michael.chrisco@eglobe.org

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content