Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote 2610s can't be pinged or telneted

I have remote sites connected by full T1 p-t-p links. There is no routing, all traffic is bridged. The entire network is one flat private-IP space. I have full communications between workstations at all sites: ping wkst to wkst works fine.

Problem: cannot ping ethernet interface addresses of remote routers. Also can't ping IP addresses on their serial interfaces.

One remote site is connected via a frame relay circuit, again only passing bridged traffic. I can ping that ethernet interface, but not the IP on its serial interface.

Need help!

Thanks

Eric

Lockheed

7 REPLIES

Re: Remote 2610s can't be pinged or telneted

Without knowing what your network & addressing scheme is I can only speculate. Make sure you have a default route in each router pointing back to the main site. Use the 'ip default-route' command in global config.

As noted, network is one network number, 254 hosts possible, private IP range, no routing enabled, all bridged, one bridge-group. As I understand it, 'ip default-route' would be for routing off-net. This is one and the same net.

Thanks.

Your right, ip default-route wont be needed since your all on the same subnet. I'd try clearing your arp-cache with 'clear arp-cache' on both routers and see if that does it. Aside from that, I cant think of anything obious.

Do you have frame maps set up?

eg. interface serial 0

encapsulation frame-relay

bridge-group 5

frame-relay map bridge 134 broadcast

frame-relay map bridge 565 broadcast

Try a debug ip packet (of course use with caution) to see what it says.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Thanks for the idea. In this case, they're HDLC PTP links, no frame. On the one frame circuit I noted, I do have those statements you mentioned and I CAN ping that e0/0 interface. I was hoping to find something similar for a bridged environment.

Can you post the config, saves time and so we can get a better idea.

Steve

It turns out that I solved the problem.

Separately, I had been working on speeding up the flooding of UDP packets. When I turned on ' IP forward-protocol spanning-tree any-local-broadcast' and 'ip forward-protocol turbo flooding', I was able to hit the remote site.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content