cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote access recommendations

will74103
Level 1
Level 1

I need to set up remote access for some roving users via dial-up connections. Need up to 8 incoming lines. Would like to use RADUIS using a Novell BorderManager BMAS for authenication.

What would be the way to go with this?

Thanks,

Will

11 Replies 11

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

A 2600 with NM-8AM (analog modems), can best do v34 modulation....will need POTS line feed per modem.

If you need v90 speeds, will need internal digital modems and a T1/PRI...3600 platform & above needed.

Thanks,

Mak.

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have a 2600/3600 with NM-8AM analog modem module, you can configure all 8 lines in a group. You need the physical line configuration as line 33 56 and protocol level configuration

as group-async interface as shown in the following URL :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/793/access_dial/t1_dialin_5412.html

Disregard the controller T1 config as it does not apply in your case.

For basic RADIUS config on the router for authentication, see :

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/793/access_dial/basicradius.shtml

Thanks for the responses. After doing a little more digging, I am wondering if a 1600 will do the job?

We need to keep costs to a minumum on this project. We anticiapate needing to support 3-5 concurrent connections at first. Would be nice to be able to expand without a forklift upgrade.

Biggest concern is making sure RADIUS will work with our Novell BM services and supporting policy routing so we can control what resources they can get to once connected.

Thanks again,

Will

A 1600 can not serve 8 dialin sessions. Not enough physical space in the box for that purpose.

~Zulfi

I think you need to use 2600 with NM-8AM..and Novell BM running RADIUS protocol with cisco router should not be a problem..Thx..Tejal

First of all, let me agree with Zulfi's recommendation, and not just because I used to work with him. 8-)

The 2600-based solution is a good "future-proof" solution, because those modular 2600 boxes are so flexible.

However, if cost is THE main consideration, you might also consider scrounging up an old 2509 (or 2511) router and hanging external V.34 modems off its async ports.

Advantages: Low hardware cost. Used 2509 routers can be had pretty cheap these days. (Add one octal cable and the cost of the external modems.)

Disadvantages: 1. It's not expandable at all.

2. The old 2509 may be a work-horse, but it sure won't win any prizes for performance.

3. And you have the significant extra headache of having eight external modems to install, configure, maintain, and find space for in your rack. (Don't forget to include the extra support time when you figure out which solution is REALLY more cost-effective!)

Aside: Do you really need policy routing? Or will access control lists do what you want ("control what resources they can get to once connected")?

Its always a medal of honour to find a senior colleague in agreement :-)

You have provided a thorough analysis, Brian.

~Zulfi

Thanks again for all responses. We will go ahead with 2600 option. Just wanted to make sure that we were going with the right platform without overspending or shooting ourselves in the foot in the process.

One more question. What IOS version will be required? Anything special for the dial up access?

No nothing special. Just make sure to have something equal or greater than 11.3(4)T1 since you ll have the NM-AM module which was not supported before that. I would vote for some latest 12.1 code like 12.1.12 or

12.1.13 or even some latest from 12.2 like 12.2.6 or 12.2.7 (12.2 codes might require a little more flash and

dram memories though). And you can live up with IP ONLY feature set if not planning to support anything but IP.

~Zulfi

Just catching on to this thread, but what is the actual network module required on the 2600 series for doing this?

We're trying to use a 2600 series to have RJ45 connections to a modem bank.

Actually part numbers for both the module and the octopus cables would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you need internal modems (built in to 2600) you need NM-8AM. Each modem on the router had RJ45 as a physical interface,

Now if you need external modems, then yo need NM-8A with octopus cable

CAB-OCTAL-ASYNC..Which had RJ45 connection at the end and you need to plug the external modems to it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: