Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Enable Password Recovery

haithamnofal
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a router in remote site that i can telnet to it but we have forgot the enable passowrd for. Is their an option to recover the enable password remotely without having a direct connection through the console?

Appreciate your feedback.

Best Regards,

Haitham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Haitham,

Even if there were, there's still the question of having to reset/power cycle the router, which would require either enable access or physical presence.

Additionally, break sequences can only be transmitted via a console session, as the VTY(telnet session) parser simply ignores these characters.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bobby Thekkekandam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Haitham,

Unfortunately, the password recovery procedure requires physical access to the switch, to power cycle and then enter the break sequence via the console port. There's no way around this (by design).

HTH,

Bobby

Is their any remote hacking tools which I can use?

Regards,

Haitham

Hi Haitham,

Even if there were, there's still the question of having to reset/power cycle the router, which would require either enable access or physical presence.

Additionally, break sequences can only be transmitted via a console session, as the VTY(telnet session) parser simply ignores these characters.

HTH,

Bobby

Hi,

I believe in this case you can use a device called serial over ip which actually give you the console access over ip.

This device have a ethernet port where you put ip address for telneting to this device and it has 8/16/32 serial port to directly connect to router console port.

Just telnet to this device and get the console of this device.

http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/content/ds-serialcontrol

HTH

nathan.a.reeves
Level 1
Level 1

You have RW SNMP Access to the switch? You should be able to reset the password for enable through an snmp initiated tftp get of a script file.

You'll need access to the RW string on the router first though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: