cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remove cat prompt - duplicate,

sszakats
Level 1
Level 1

How do you remove a prompt on a CatOS switch after one was set using the"set prompt" command.

Thanks, Steve

9 Replies 9

edangel
Level 1
Level 1

I am not 100% however try NO set prompt or I believe the "set prompt " will work if left blank after prompt. HTH I will await reply's from others that may be sure.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Probably just "set prompt" enter , this will clear the prompt . The same way you clear a name on a port .

This won't work.

test (enable) set prompt

Usage: set prompt

You need to override the current prompt with some other string.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

So it can't be done. Is this a bug?

smcquerry
Level 1
Level 1

In order to remove a prompt that you have set using the CatOS, you must clear the configuration. You can just clear the system specific configuration (clear config system) and remove the prompt setting (keep reading!).

This will unfortunately clear anything that is a non-default setting under this section of the configuration. You can view that portion of the config with the command (show config system).

This is not a bug, it is simply the way it works. In the original CatOS code, the prompt did not follow the system name, you had to set both parameters on the switch. As the code evolved, Cisco changed the OS so that, if the prompt is the default, the OS would insert the system name into the prompt. However once the prompt was set, the only way to get it to follow the system name again is to clear the configuration.

OK, its not a bug, just an oversight. Imagine if you had to clear the config to remove a port name, or a vlan. or a boot statement. Truly dopey.

I totally agree!

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

Set it back to the default

"set prompt Console>"

When you do this the prompt will once again become the hostname followed by ">". ie: if your hostname is "cat1", the prompt would then be:

cat1>

You are Correct! I have tried this in the past, but I did not capitilize the "C" in console!

Thanks for the information.