Views
Helpful
Replies

remove subinterface

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to remove fastethernet subinterface on router that i use to interconnect-vlan . how can i romove it ?

thanks for kindly

18 Replies 18

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Frined,

If you want to completely remove the subinterface from your configuration you can simply go to global config mode and give a command

"no interface "

eg:

no interface fa0/0.0

no interface fa0/0.1

If you just want to shut your intervlan routing from that subinterface you can go to that subinterface and give "shut"

HTH

Ankur

Thank you !!!!!

You are welcome.

HTH

Rick

Hello,

the command ´no interface FastEthernet0/0.1´ will disable the interface, in order to get rid of it in the actual configuration, you have to reboot the router...

Regards,

GP

pccthailand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

if i would not like to reload router , do you have any way to avoid it ??

Thanks for kindly

Hello,

unfortunately, to my best knowledge, that is the only way to remove the subinterface - reboot...

Regards,

GP

Hi

try first deleting the ip  address and then the sub interface: I found this worked for a serial connection so I guess it will be the same for an ethernet interface.

Cheers

Mick

It may be good form to remove the IP address before you delete the subinterface, but it is not required.

If you do no interface fastethernet0/0.1 then the subinterface will be only partly gone. Especially in things like the output of show ip interface brief the subinterface will still show up until you reboot the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I also did, no interface fa0/1.1 

When I run the command show IP interface brief, partly done but still sub-interface appeared, when I reloaded the router completely removed. 

Thank you for confirming that your experience matches the points made in this discussion:

1) no interface fa0/1.1 will remove the subinterface from the output of show run/show start but that the subinterface does still show up in things like show ip interface brief.

2) the only effective way to completely remove the subinterface is to reload after using the command no interface fa0/1.1 and saving the changed config.

HTH

Rick

Go to the main interface and you can remove sub interface as below..

Main interface- Gi0/0/0

Sub interfaces- Gi0/0/0.1, Gi0/0/0.2 and Gi0/0/0.3

Now go through the command as below..

Router(config-if)#int gi0/0/0

Router(config-if)#no interface gi0/0/0.3

and now you will that 3rd sub interface isn't available anymore..

Go to the main interface and you can remove sub interface as below..

Main interface- Gi0/0/0

Sub interfaces- Gi0/0/0.1, Gi0/0/0.2 and Gi0/0/0.3

Now go through the command as below..

Router(config-if)#int gi0/0/0

Router(config-if)#no interface gi0/0/0.3

and now you will see that 3rd sub interface isn't available anymore..

Hello Moahmmad 

this move didn't work for me, i have the same issue. 

We have no information about what was in your config, no information about what commands you used, or exactly what your problem is. Please provide clarification.

HTH

Rick