Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

REmoving Ip address from FE interface

I need to change the primary Ip address on my 7206 fast ethernet interface. The address I want to change it to is a secondary address on the interface now. I have several other secondaries on the interface. Do I need to remove all addresses and the instal everything again or can I just remove the secondary I want to change to primary and then "ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0 " to change the primary?

thanks,

Mitchel

5 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: REmoving Ip address from FE interface

I would remove the secondary ip address first with a no ip address x.x.x.x 255.x.x.x secondary command, then add the ip address x.x.x.x 255.x.x.x with that secondary IP.

The right way to do is to remove the secondary u want to change, using no form of the command, with a secondary keyword at the end, and then applying the same ip address, as primary ip address, without the secondary keyword.

Instead of typing this at the console, a better way to do is to key in both commands, in a notepad, select all and paste it, which would give a faster change in ip address.

Remember, when you do this, you will face a short outage in service, So better, fix a downtime window.

Community Member

So no need to remove all secondaries, just the one I want to change. And yes I would definetly cut and past the commands. should only be down for a few seconds?

Mitchel

Yes, thats correct, you dont need to remove all the secondaries.

Downtime should be only for a few seconds.

Community Member

thanks for all your help.

Mitchel

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content