Views
Helpful
Replies

replacing high density port switch/blade strategy

patrickpaez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for strategies in replacing 48 port blades/switches while minimizing downtime. Our management wants to know how long it would take to replace a switch and re-cable it. So I'm trying to find some best practices on replacing switches/blades and how to maintain cable to port integrity when moving between switches/blades. The only thing I've really found comes from data center infrastructure, where they stress the importance of labelling cables.

I was wondering if anyone else had other strategies they use when replacing high density port switches/blades

Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

New close to old, make new module active and then plug over per port.

regards,

Leo

Leo,

Thanks for the response. What about places where your rack or chasis is full and you have to remove the exsisting chasis or blade inorder to add the replacement equipement?

patrickpaez wrote:

Leo,

Thanks for the response. What about places where your rack or chasis is full and you have to remove the exsisting chasis or blade inorder to add the replacement equipement?

Label, Label, Label.

I can't stress it enough, especially if you're trying to do a "mirror" replacement and have everything working exactly the same as it was before. Don't rely on memory, don't rely on out-of-date documentation - label every cable

If you're talking physical switches, then configure them FIRST to match your existing configuration (VLAN's, SVI's, Trunks etc etc), then label *every* cable plugged into your existing switch, pull the old one out, mount the new one, then put your cables back into place based on the labels.

If you're talking blades, the process is about the same except you *shouldn't* have to worry about configuring first - if you're doing a slot-for-slot replacement, the port designations should remain the same, and your existing config should just take effect on reboot.

If it's an additional module in an empty slot, just plug the module in, duplicate the configuration from the existing module, and move your cables one-by-one to matching ports on the new blade.

Cheers

Trap for new players in blade/modular environments - make DAMN sure the IOS version you're running actually supports the module you're installing - or you're going to end up in a mess!