Views
Helpful
Replies

Require help on Cisco 831 router

pradeep.s
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

I have a query on the Cisco 831 series router. The Cisco 831 series router has 4 10/100 switch port. This router belongs to Ethernet to Ethernet router Category . Now can I connect 4 seperate routers on four 10/100 ports of 831 series router. And also can I do routing between these LAN ports.

What I mean to say is Can I have four different subnet on four ports of the Cisco 831 router? I want to have routing between these LAN subnet. And also can I configure the each port of 831 series router with different subnet.

Any links/Configuration samples would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pradeep

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I think, the ports are all layer 2 ports with no capability to configure multiple vlans. Still you should be able to connect PCs or routers on the switch, but all should be on same subnet. They cannot be on a different subnet. As of now I cant seem to locate a link at Cisco website, giving any info about this. I ll let you know if I find something.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hi Sankar,

Thank you for your info..

I was able to get one link from cisco

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801c574b.html#54444

which say how to configure each port. They have mentioned only two port in different subnet. But I am not able to get exact info required.

Awaiting response

Regards,

Pradeep

I am curious to see what the status is on this. We have a similar issue.

Originally we were running c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin and then upgraded to c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-7.T.bin.

With "c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-2.XC2.bin" the idividual FE interfaces are configurable as in the link Pradeep sent.

With "c831-k9o3sy6-mz.123-7.T.bin" they are all seen as one inteface, which is E0.

Something changed between 123-2(XC2) and 123-7(T).

rob
Level 1
Level 1

The 837 like the 831 and 836 have 4 switch ports which at layer 2 are four seperate ports

A switch learns which devices are connected to its ports (by monitoring the packets it receives), and then forwards on packets to the appropriate port only

unlike a 4 port hub where Hubs repeat everything they receive. At layer 3 they are still the same interface ie eth 0 so you cant logically seperate them out

Hope this helps

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your info. Yeah! I got that there cannot be any routing between the ports. As these 4 ports acts as switch ports.

Regards,

Pradeep

Hi, Are you saying for 831, we can only configured one WAN interface? How about LAN segment, is there anyway for us to configure a LAN segment with it.

P.S. I am currently evaluting whether should deploy 831 for Site to Site VPN.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: