cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reserve an ip when using dhcp on router

aseamans
Level 1
Level 1

We use our routers t our remote locations to serve out ip addresses.. well we sometimes need to reserve an ip in the range for a particular MAC address. I have yet to find a way to do this on the router. basically what we do is.. serve out ip addresses to various clients. Sometimes a client will be overstepping their bounds and we need to throttle them down.. i have been doing traffic-shaping to do this and limiting the maximum use of the bandwidth.. however since they use dhcp all they would have to do is change ip addresses and they are up and running again... I want to prevent this from happening...

Is there a way to set the router to allow full bandwidth use for a minutes time and then automatically throttle it back to say 1/2 of the bandwidth. we currently use a ull T1 in our remote locations.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Here is the way to reserver the ip address for a mac address using dhcp on a router. If the mac address is 00.10.5a.dd.c5.3, here is the way to assign 192.168.0.1 to that statically

ip dhcp pool foramac

host 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

client-identifier 0100.105a.ddc5.31

client-name home1

!

ip dhcp pool default

network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

dns-server x.x.x.x y.y.y.y.y

default-router 192.168.0.2

worked like a charm.. thanks so much.. will this work for devices that might not have a hostname or something...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco