Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reseting ifLastChange value

I'm looking for a way to reset the ifLastChange value via SNMP. I have done the ifAdminStatus down and then back up, but it doesn't seem to reset the timeticks in ifLastChange.

Is there any other way anyone knows of that I can do this with?

5 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Reseting ifLastChange value

The object ifLastChange itself is a read-only object, so if you're trying to change this object via SNMP, you can't.

Anonymous
N/A

Correct, ifLastChange is read-only, but what I was wanting to know is how to reset it indirectly by changing the value of another SNMP OID that is read-write...any ideas?

Blue

ifLastChange should be updated by the device when the operational status of the interface changes(i.e., the value of ifOperStatus). Also note, the value of ifLastChange will change when the device reboots.

Anonymous
N/A

What I did was change the ifAdminStatus from enabled to disabled, which changes the value of ifOperStatus, but that does not change the ifLastChange value. Is there any other way to change this without reseting the switch or plugging a device into the port?

Hey guys,

I have 4 4500 L3 switches all running 12.2(37)SG1. They would have all been installed at the same time and just recently the sysuptime counters rolled over on them about 38 days ago.

I use an in-house tool to gather the last state changes of interfaces, it polls the iflastchange and the sysuptime OIDs and calculates the ticks into a date.

I had expected to see all interfaces that have not had state changes since before the wrap around to display false/errored dates due to the wrap around. This is the case for some of the interfaces, however there are a number of random interfaces who's iflastchange counters reset when the sysuptime wrapped around so thay show a last state change of the date the sysuptime counter wrapped around, this is unexpected.

What makes it more confusing is the fact that I can find no pattern between the interfaces that reset with the wrap around and those that retained their original timestamp. None of these devices were reloaded and I have documentation showing the interfaces haven't been used at all in well over a year.

I have tried the other tools at my disposal and also polled the OIDs manually to make sure that the tools weren't reporting incorrect data but they are not. The responses from the devices via SNMP only verify what the tools say.

Has anyone any idea why this is?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content