cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reverse telnet problems

joaquimlopes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i'm trying to configure a switch without ip, remotely.

I have the router AUX port connected to the switch Console port via Roll-cable When i try to

connect i get:

RouterXPTO#1.1.1.1 2065

Trying 1.1.1.1, 2065 ... Open

But i can't type anything ....(newbie problems )

--------------

Router configuration

interface Loopback0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

line aux 0

no exec

no activation-character

terminal-type VT100

transport preferred none

transport input all

One last thing, can i use a straigth cable to do the connectio ? Thanks

6 Replies 6

svermill
Level 4
Level 4

Assuming your switch is Cisco, the console port should be a dte so the rollover cable should work (router aux is also dte).

Whenever I am having problems with a line that I know should be working, I 'clear line aux 0' or 'clear line cons 0' as the case may be.

Is it possible that maybe you have a speed mismatch, flow control mismatch, etc. between the aux and the cons? All that is required for the "open" message to appear is for the telnet to be successful. There is no requirement that the physical interface be setup correctly.

clear line didn't solve the problem, my router is a 3620 how can i now if the remote user didn't switch the cable connection on router aux - console, because the cisco is near a wall and he can't check it...

thanks

Can the "no activation-character" be the problem? Usually you hit "return" in order to activate the connection!

Forgot set ‘stopbits 1’

Good luck

Matias.-

still doesn't work !

Router configuration now

--------------

Router configuration

interface Loopback0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

no ip directed-broadcast

line aux 0

no exec

terminal-type VT100

transport preferred none

transport input all

stopbits 1

RouterXPTO#1.1.1.1 2065

Trying 1.1.1.1, 2065 ... Open

But i can't type anything ....

I think the activation character is on the way in not on the way out. Bottom line - you have a physical connectivity problem at the distant end that needs resolved. I pasted you original config into an aux port and plugged in a rollover cable. No problems.