Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

reverse telnet

can anyone tell me what this is and why we would use it ?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: reverse telnet

Reverse Telnet (sometimes called direct Telnet) is the initiation of a Telnet session from a computer system to one of its remote users. Usually, a Telnet session is initiated by a user who wishes to access and share resources on a remote computer system. The user must have permission and is prompted to provide a user name and password. Reverse Telnet is when the host computer initiates a Telnet session instead of accepting one.

Reverse Telnet is typically used by a system administrator to configure or to troubleshoot a remote computer.

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

Bronze

In cisco networking, a reverse telnet is normally used to give remote console access to a device. You set it up by having a router to telnet to. From this router, there would be a console cable plugged into the aux port and the other side would be plugged into the console on the other router. The engineer telnets to the first router, then reverse telnets from that routers command line. This gives console access on the other device.

Hope this helps.

hi carl...

when user telnets to a router, user logged on directly to the router. cisco add a special characteristic to it... if you telnet to a special port on the router, router redirects the incoming telnet connection back out a selected asynchronous line... rather than internally accepting the incoming connection... this is called reverse telnet... look at the following command...

when you enter

telnet router1

then you telnet to the peort 23 of tcp and initiate the virtual connection with router.

when you enter

telnet router1 2001

it connects to the tcp port 2001 the router map this port to the asynchronous lines...

hope this will clear your idea...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Views
Helpful
Replies