cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP and EIGRP

dhardy
Level 1
Level 1

We have both RIP and EIGRP on our Frame-relay WAN, what impact does this have on bandwidth? All the routes have been discovered by EIGRP, does this still mean than RIP packets are still being sent?

Thanks

Dunc

8 Replies 8

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Impact on bandwidth depends on the bandwidth available. RIP is broadcasting every 30 seconds but depending on the size of your routing table that may not be significant (each packet -536 bytes- can hold 25 routes). EIGRP is preferred over RIP in terms of routing decisions, but RIP packets are still being exchanged. In the absence of any reasons, remove RIP (make sure no one depends on it first!!!).

Thanks for this Steve, can you tell me what the following does?

router rip

redisttribute eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.0

default-metric 2

Dunc

EIGRP routes are being redistributed into the RIP process (and forwarded to RIP routers). These routes are assigned a metric (hop count is used by RIP) of 2.

RIP is being broadcast out and received on all interfaces on the 10.0.0.0 network.

EIGRP is classless and RIP is classful, so follow this link to see if RIP learns the EIGRP route : http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/54.html

Hope that helps.

Steve

I have just done a test and removed RIP from the router, so just EIGRP is running and this has stopped routing to sites, even though in the routing table all the routes still exist.

Duncan

Can you post the relevant configs of the routers involved (eg if its a hub and spoke topology, the hub and a sample spoke router)?

It would help to find the cause and dependencies.

Steve

HUB:

interface Loopback0

no ip address

no logging event subif-link-status

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 10.100.0.1 255.255.0.0

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

no ip mroute-cache

priority-group 5

!

interface Serial0/0.1 point-to-point

description ***LINK TO SITE X***

ip address 10.10.200.9 255.255.255.252

bandwidth 64

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

!

interface Serial0/0.2 point-to-point

description ***LINK TO SITE Y***

ip address 10.10.200.41 255.255.255.252

bandwidth 64

frame-relay interface-dlci 20

!

router eigrp 1

redistribute rip

network 10.0.0.0

default-metric 10000 10 255 100 1500

no auto-summary

!

router rip

redistribute eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.0

default-metric 2

!

ip local pool abp 10.100.99.1 10.100.99.10

no ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.101.0.254

SITE X:

interface Ethernet0

description **** Lan

ip address 10.144.0.1 255.255.0.0

no ip directed-broadcast

!

interface Serial0

no ip address

no ip directed-broadcast

encapsulation frame-relay

priority-group 5

frame-relay lmi-type ansi

!

interface Serial0.1 point-to-point

description *** LINK to HQ ***

bandwidth 64

ip address 10.10.200.10 255.255.255.252

no ip directed-broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 16

!

router eigrp 1

network 10.0.0.0

no auto-summary

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.100.0.1

I can see the Site x doesnt have RIP setup and works fine until RIP is removed from HQ, I guess this is because the redistribute eigrp in the hub config.

Hope this helps...

Duncan

Quick points:

1. Having mutual redistribution between protocols without filters/distribute lists is asking for trouble. Routes that are redistributed into rip shouldn't be allowed back into eigrp from rip (and vice versa).

2. Default routes should generally point to a next hop address that is one hop away (eg in site x's case 10.10.200.9 - not sure how it will find 10.100.0.1 if eigrp dies).

Other than the above points config looks good.

Other routers/servers in your company HQ using RIP?

Who lost connectivity, spokes to HQ servers or spokes to hub router?

If you do a show ip eigrp neighbor on either end, does it show they lost peering at the time you removed RIP?

My suggestion would be to change the above 2 points, remove redistrib rip from under eigrp (see if the spokes lose any routes), and then remove rip process. The static route will prevent you from losing contact from the spoke site to the hub router.

Let me know how this goes as I am interested to find out.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks steve,

The site X and hub, could not see each other after RIP was removed. Some other sites have RIP configured as:

Router Rip

Network 10.0.0.0

default-metric 2

I wasnt the one to setup these router script just the person who now has to try things, I'm on a learning curve with ciscos/routing so forget me if I say something stupid.

Point 1 - I take it what we have is RIP is redist to EIGRP and EIGRP is redist to RIP (complete circle).

I hadn't noticed the Default route was wrong - will amend..

when RIP was removed our Exchange servers could see the Internet Gateway at the HQ and I could use Terminal server to SiteX. From SHOW IP ROUTE I could still see all the routers that were there before and now, so it looked like routing should continue..

Will let you know if I'm tolded to try again..

Duncan