cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP-OSPF-EIGRP Redistribution

shahryar.k
Level 1
Level 1

I was trying to cinfigure a network in which there were three different routing domains. RIP, EIGRP and OSPF. I tried to redistribute on the ASBR RIP into EIGRP and EIGRP into OSPF. Intentionally didnot configure mutual redistribution. I was amazed to find out an interesting issue which i could not spot in any of Cisco Documents or in any Cisco Press book (not that I have come across). The issue being that OSPF doesnot redistribute the external routes from EIGRP. i.e RIP routes were not being advertised into OSPF domain and vice versa.

Kindly comment on this issue.

5 Replies 5

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

If you do a sh ip ospf database external x.x.x.x you should see the network in the database , also it has to have a reachable next hop to be installed in the routing table

No, I know tis much. the question is that does OSPF or EIGRP redistribute already redistributed routes from some other protocol. e.g a route appears in the RIP database as redistributed (not necessarily from OSPF). If you redistribute RIP into OSPF now, you will notice that ospf will redistribute all routes except the redistributed ones.

I set up the same thing and it works fine.

RTR1------------RTR2----------RTR3

RIP/EIGRP--EIGRP/OSPF--OSPF

The rip routes sho up in the ospf only router as E2 routes.

Make sure you are not using the same major (classfull) network. I think that could cause problems.

hi,

yeah it will work that way but the thing is that its not gonna work if you are doing it like this. I mean on the same router you have all the 3 routing protocols running.

RTR1..........RTR2..........RTR3

RIP EIGRP/ OSPF

OSPF/

RIP

zhang-hao
Level 1
Level 1

i think you can check the answer to Redistribution problems in the forum of LAN,SWITCHING AND ROUTING.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: