cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP-OSPF redistribution

fnakahata
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to convert my RIP network to OSPF however there are some devices that are only can talk with RIPv1.

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi fnakahata,

According to me RIPv1 is itself a class full protocol so by the time routes reaches the router on which redistribution is configured with ospf the routes which are redistributed will be on their class boundaries only.

"Redistribute subnet" command is used so that routes which are already subnetted and reaches the redistributed router remains subnetted after getting redistributed.

If the routes learned on redistributed router are classfull (not subnetted) this command will not subnet it after redistribution.

HTH

Ankur

Fumitoshi

As Ankur has pointed out one approach is to redistribute between OSPF and RIP. There are several things to consider if you intend to do redistribution:

- consider whether you will redistribute in one direction only or if you will redistribute in both directions. (in one direction is easier and safer but does not meet the needs of all situations)

- consider on how many routers you will ned to do redistribution. (the more routers are doing redistribution, the more complex it becomes in trying to avoid problems)

- remember that to redistribute into RIP you must configure a default metric.

- to redistribute into OSPF does not require a default metric but almost always does need to include the parameter "subnets" in the redistribute command

- OSPF supports VLSM while RIP does not support VLSM. If you have variable length subnets in some parts of your network it may not work to try to redistribute them into RIP.

There may be another alternative to redistribution to consider: on it devices that only speak RIP would it be possible to configure them with default routes pointing to a connected OSPF speaking router?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, it helps me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco