According to me RIPv1 is itself a class full protocol so by the time routes reaches the router on which redistribution is configured with ospf the routes which are redistributed will be on their class boundaries only.
"Redistribute subnet" command is used so that routes which are already subnetted and reaches the redistributed router remains subnetted after getting redistributed.
If the routes learned on redistributed router are classfull (not subnetted) this command will not subnet it after redistribution.
As Ankur has pointed out one approach is to redistribute between OSPF and RIP. There are several things to consider if you intend to do redistribution:
- consider whether you will redistribute in one direction only or if you will redistribute in both directions. (in one direction is easier and safer but does not meet the needs of all situations)
- consider on how many routers you will ned to do redistribution. (the more routers are doing redistribution, the more complex it becomes in trying to avoid problems)
- remember that to redistribute into RIP you must configure a default metric.
- to redistribute into OSPF does not require a default metric but almost always does need to include the parameter "subnets" in the redistribute command
- OSPF supports VLSM while RIP does not support VLSM. If you have variable length subnets in some parts of your network it may not work to try to redistribute them into RIP.
There may be another alternative to redistribution to consider: on it devices that only speak RIP would it be possible to configure them with default routes pointing to a connected OSPF speaking router?
Question We run asr9001 with XR 6.1.3, and we have a very long delay to
login w/ SSH 1 or 2 to the device compare to IOS device. After
investigation, the there is 1s delay between the client KEXDH_INIT and
the server (XR) KEXDH_REPLY. After debug ssh serv...
Introduction The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Open
Shortest Path First (OSPF) behavior when the V-bit (Virtual-link bit) is
present in a non-backbone area. The V-bit is signaled in Type-1 LSA only
if the router is the endpoint of one or ...
Hi, I am seeing quite a few issues with patch install and wanted to
share my experience and workaround to this. Login to admin via CLI, then
access root with the “shell” command Issue “df –h” and you’ll probably
see the following directory full or nearly ...