Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

RIP over a Dialer Interface with IP address negotiated

Someone know how I must configure the RIP protocol to run this over a Dialer interface with the IP address negotiated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: RIP over a Dialer Interface with IP address negotiated

Hi.

I've never tried this, but I guess that if you know the subnet from which your ISP will take the address for your router you can configure it under the RIP process with the network command.

This is not an usual scenario...

Any comments?...

NM

If the IP address assigned to from the ISP could belong to many severals networks, I must to write all the possible networks?

Normally your ISP will assign you addresses from a single public network. I suggest you take ( I know that SBC Internet services will not assign you numbers outside of a class C for an ISDN Access service) Use can probably use that class C. You may simply want to call your provider to verify though.

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. I see one of 2 possible scenarios:

1) You are setting up the dial router for access to an ISP, who could theoretically assign you any address within its block whenever you dial. In this case, why configure RIP over the dialer - you are not seriously thinking of exchanging RIP routes with your provider, are you? Same thing holds if you are dialing into some other company for an extranet-like kind of network, in either case, because your company is dialing into another company, I think it's highly unlikely that the other company will accept your RIP routes, so why run RIP over the dialer ? Just redistribute the dialer route into RIP (redistribute connected route-map xxxx). Or, if your topology permits, just create a default route pointing to the dialer, and this default will automatically be redistributed into RIP.

2) You are dialing into one of your own routers. In this case, you really should know what address range your dialer will be assigned, so you can set up the network statement accordingly.

Views
Helpful
Replies