cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP Removal & OSPF to EIGRP Migration

jp0801
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone point me in the right direction on where I can find any Best Practices on removing RIP form our LAN and migrating from OSPF to EIGRP?

Thanks In Advance

2 Replies 2

wsitu
Level 1
Level 1

depending on the size of your network, this can be easy or arduous. hopefully your router are able to run these protocols simultaneously. increase EIGRP Admin distance, like 170. so that it doesn't affect current routing. check Eigrp neigbors and topology table. when you feel Eigrp is nicely settle, work your way from the edge routers in, removing the other routing protocols. good luck.

This actually won't work with EIGRP (increasing the admin distance), because EIGRP won't advertise anything it's not installing in the routing table. You can use this to verify the EIGRP neighbors, however, before you start turning RIP off, and EIGRP on.

If you can't bring the entire network down for a couple of hours to do the migration, then do it in stages, using mutual redistribution with tags or distribution lists to prevent routing loops (a pain, and I hate even recommending it). Start at one point, and sweep through the network, trying to make it so you only have one point of redistribution at any time, if possible.

Russ.W

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: