cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RJ45 module "fixed" after conversion to Native mode!!!

tkadri
Level 1
Level 1

This is a strange one. We have a 6509 switch with the following modules:

1 Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Active)

2 Cat 6k sup 1 Enhanced QoS (Standby)

3 8 port 1000mb GBIC Enhanced QoS

4 8 port 1000mb GBIC Enhanced QoS

5 48 port 10/100 mb RJ45

6 48 port 10/100 mb RJ45

8 48 port 10/100 mb RJ45

...with the following sub-modules:

1 Policy Feature Card

1 MSFC Cat6k daughterboard

2 Policy Feature Card

2 MSFC Cat6k daughterboard

8 Inline Power Module

We recently decided to remove the 6509 from service and upgrade to Native mode IOS. When we took down the switch and booted it up in our test lab we found that module 6 (RJ45) was faulty - it failed on all ports doing the loopback tests.

Ignoring the above, we proceeded to convert to native mode IOS (c6sup11-dsv-mz.121-13.E4). Now that we have successfully done this, we find that the module is now showing as OK and functional!!! Can anyone suggest what might be going on here?

During the upgrade of the primary supervisor (1) we pulled out the secondary (2) to avoid problems and ensure a backout; when the upgrade of 1 had finished we noticed that module 6 was OK. We then removed module 1 and inserted module 2 and found that module 6 was in the same old failed state!!!

I can only guess that the new IOS is not performing the same stringent tests that the old CatOS was doing and it is passing the module when in fact there could be a problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks...

2 Replies 2

vatsan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kadri

The following are the possible errors that can be associated with the LED status.In the future of failures in the modules to diagonise the cause please be sure to issue the command show test from the console prompt od the switch.

The following URl can give you more picture on the status and the nature of the problem in relation to the LED status.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015504b.shtml#topic3

Thanks

Vatsan

Hi Vatsan,

Thanks for your response. The show test command is no longer available in Native mode! The link to the document you gave me was for Hybrid mode troubleshooting only. I have done the usual reseating of the module, etc, etc.

The more I delve into the caveats for Native mode the more I feel that I should back out to Hybrid. It seems that a few functions are not available to me as I have a sup1 (sup2 is ok).

Can anyone else help?

Much appreciated...

Tariq.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: