Views
Helpful
Replies

RME 3.4 Question: Decreasing the space consumed w/archived config files

pholstein
Level 1
Level 1

RME 3.4 Question: Decreasing the size of archived configurations

Previous attempts to decrease the size of the directory in which the archived configurations were stored caused a DB restore. I don’t want this to happen again. However, the sizes of these files continue to grow. How can I decrease the size that is already there? I know I can decrease the # of saved configuration files kept. I have done this but that doesn’t help in decreasing what is already been established.

Your guidance is appreciated.

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Have you enabled the Archive Purging Policy?

No, I haven't. I will give it a try. Thank you for the quick suggestion.

What does the option to purge labelled files do? What are "labelled files"?

A label is a name given to a group of customized selection of configuration files. You can select configuration files from different managed devices, group and label them. To access label configuratio, select RME->Administration->Configuration Management->Label Configuration. If you select 'Dont Purge Labelled Files', then these will not get deleted. See the on-line help within RME for more details on this.

Thanks for the Label Configuration info. We don't use that option.

BUT...we are also (still) having the same problem as the original message posted on this discussion. We do have the Archive Purge enabled, set to purge anything older than 4 months. This did clear out old configs from the web displays, but the space consumed in the archive has not gone down.

Most of the space seems to be take up by files with the extension .dfr and .dfc. Any idea what these files are? And any way clean them up without doing any damage?

Thanks.

I opened a TAC case, and was directed to a document titled "Performing Maintenance on your Essentials Server" at the following url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008017ac32.html

This document explained that the .dfr and .dfc files are change audit history files. It also explains the need to routine maintenance to delete these files, using the RME gui option:

Resource Manager Essentials > Administration > Change Audit > Delete Change History

Does anyone know, can we just delete the .dfr and .dfc files from the Unix command line? Will this cause RME any problems?

Thanks,