If the deivces were added via ip, then that's the way it will show up unless you add them via the name. Displaying the devices with name in Campus is different than showing them up in RME inventory. Add them via csv using the names if they are in DNS. This is one possibility.
When you did your ANI discovery, did you check the box, Reverse DNS in Discovery Settings before running a Network Discovery?
If you did not, you should delete all your devices and run a new discovery with the Reverse DNS checked.
Verify that the CiscoWorks Server knows which DNS Server to get the hostnames from.
You should always check to see what you are sending when you do a Device Synchronization, click on the Status Log Tab, and click on Details and then the Reload button. The text screen should tell you exactly what you are sending either ip address or hostname. It is possible to send hostnames to RME
I do see some devices in hardware inventory with names, and some with just IP.
But, now not all discovered devices are showing up in Inventory. If I want to see all 2600's, I get only a few of them, but they are in the list of discovered devices.
If hostnames is what you want, verify that your Cisco Devices are in DNS and the CiscoWorks Server is able to resolve them both forward and reverse lookups. Then reinitialize the ANI Database via command line, which will delete the contents of Campus Manager Cisco Devices and start a new discovery.
If your 2600s have hostname configured within its configuration then we can turn on SysName component
to get SysNames information. That depends on what version of Campus Manager you have though.
It's best to open up a Cisco Tac Case and have someone step through the screens/options/and if need be, file changes to get hostnames in both RME and Campus.
Hope that helps
For me,scenario is quite different, my DNS server is running properly, my Campus Manager 3.3 can reflect host names properly and all my devices are reflected correctly, then I sync to Essentials 3.5, but only Catalyst 4506 and 4507R are unable to be added into RME. I then tried to add them manually and this is the error I got.
"Check DB status (running/stopped). Check DB status for missing or NULL key value columns."
I checked my process and all are running fine. I had even re-initialised my RME db but the same error still appears. I had also updated the IDU for RME already.
Anyone else got this problem also?
You can change the IPs to names via following steps:
1) Go to RME -> Administration -> Inventory -> Import status.
2) Click Alias.
The Alias for Managed Devices dialog box lists the devices with alias conflicts (i.e. devices present in the Inventory database with both IP and name identifier).
3) Select the devices you want to resolve.
Select a conflict resolution method:
Use Imported Devices - Overwrites the managed data. (I.e. if you see the device with the IP currently, use this choice.)
Use Inventory Devices - Discards the imported device information and retains the managed data. (I.e. leaves the name as is.)
Suspend Devices - Suspends the devices until you resolve the conflicts.
4) Click Finish. The Add/Import Status Summary reappears.
5) Repeat for another device.
If there is no alias for a device you can see with an IP address only, you can create one by manually adding the device by RME -> Administration -> Inventory -> Add Device using it's name.