Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RME Syslog Analysis Automated action - Help required

Hi:

I`m trying to configure an automated action based on the selected log message from syslog analyzer tool with RME.But it fails with no error.Could somebody advise on this?

Raj

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: RME Syslog Analysis Automated action - Help required

Raj,

I had the same symptoms: using blat from a DOS shell worked ok but when an automated action was sent, the error log on the SMTP server showed that instead of receiving the e-mail, it detailed a failed winsock [port number] connection! Changing the blat.exe file resolved the problem.

Colin

10 REPLIES

What OS are you using, Windows ?

Yes.We have windows NT 4 with sp 6a.

Raj

The problem with Automatic Actions under Windows is that CW is unable to pass the environment on to the program called. That causes certain problems. Actually what you can do is running simple OS commands (like move or copy) or .exe-files that run on their own, e.g. blat.exe

What you cannot do for instance, is making use of Windows Scripting Host. If you want to run a script try to make do with the perl.exe und CSCOpx\bin

What is it precisely what you want the Automatic Action to do?

The automated action is to execute the .bat file which in turn uses the blat program to the send the administrator a mail.The thing is the automated mail for the administrator whenever the syslog for the line protocol updown is recieved by the syslog server.

Raj

Dear Raj,

If RME appears to be sending the e-mail, the problem could be an issue with the version of BLAT that you are using and the OS of the SMTP server that is handling your automated e-mails.

I'm using BLAT v1.8.9 which is sending e-mails to a Win2K Server running MS Exchange.

Hope this helps you out!

Colin

Colin:

There seems to be no problem with the blat version ,because the same thing is working if I execute the same manually from the command prompt.But I try it as a batch file through RME ,it fails.

Raj

Using blat.exe in a .bat is one of the cases where it normally works.

But don't use any redirection of output (i.e. ">") to capture anything - that in turn is something which doesn't work (at least in humble experience)

Raj,

I had the same symptoms: using blat from a DOS shell worked ok but when an automated action was sent, the error log on the SMTP server showed that instead of receiving the e-mail, it detailed a failed winsock [port number] connection! Changing the blat.exe file resolved the problem.

Colin

Thanks Guys!

I reconfigured the blat program and this time I had the script which am trying to trigger stored in the NMSroot instead under subdirectory.But this time surprisingly ,it worked.

Raj

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content