Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

ROMMON - Booting into

A couple of the 1605's that we have will not hold or boot up correctly. Sometimes the router will boot into rommon and I can change the confreg to 0x2102, then save to nvram, reload, load a config, write and everything looks ok. Then I can reload and everything is still alright. The problem is when the router is powered off. Sometimes it will come back up correctly and sometimes it will be in rommon mode, possibly depending on the length of time that the router is off. If I then reset in rommon and sh ver upon reload, it will still say 0x2102. Is there a battery that may be dead that I can replace or please give any other advise. Thanks

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: ROMMON - Booting into

Doesnt sound like a battery issue if the config register still has 2102. I suspect a device connected to the console port is sending in or echoing noise during the boot that the router is seeing as a break. I've seen it when modems are attached to the console port and on but not dialed in.

Community Member

I would consider the noise as a possibility however I can turn of the router with no devices plugged into it and turn it back on for five minutes before I console back into it and it might be in rommon or it might be at a login prompt. It's just sporadic and I dont know what might cause this. I thought battery at first, there is no additional ram in it, could it be the flash card is defective? I don't have another to test.

Community Member

It's almost certainly your modem. We ran into the same problem. Modems we used for OOB access to older 2500, 4000 and 7000 series routers caused the newer 2600, 3600, and 3700 series to go into ROMMON.

We did extensive testing using a serial protocol analyzer on the link between the router's console prot and the modem. Every modem we tested, except one, the Best Data 56K modem, all sent a signal that the router interpreted as a "break".

Now the bad news- apparrently the Best Data modem is no longer being manufactured. I'm actually searching for a new model that performs the same. We tried init string's for other modems, nothing worked.

Community Member

Actually we are using the T1 wic's. Maybe it's a bad WIC. I will have to look for another to test. Has anyone seen this problem with the WIC's?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content