cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ROMmon configuration hang up

williamgrod
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried several things to get into the ROMmon set up configuration....no luck... I can not enable any commands. Do I need to disable something to get into the system to reboot the IOS or enter configuration??? This really has us stumped...outside guess, maybe a problem with the router, not the program??? All the documentation I checked has sus sstart with the enable command. I can not enable, exit, close, start config or anything. I allsso get the message that there is no magic number....Where do I find the magic number???

H E L P ! ! !

4 Replies 4

Hello William,

not sure which platform you are using, but make sure that your configuration-register is set to 0x2102 (you can see this by issuing the show version command).

If you reboot the router and hit Ctrl+Break within ten seconds, you should get into ROMMON mode. Is this what you are trying to do ?

Regards,

Georg

Hi George:

I am stuck in the ROMmon mode and can not enter any commands. I tried the reboot and control/break key

procedure, but no luck.

I am going to try the xmodem procedures...hope it worls...I will post the results....Thanks, Bill

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

Are you having problems loading the IOS ? Does the device keep on reloading stating that the device has a "bad magic number" ?

If so, this means that the IOS image you are trying to load is corrupt for some reason , or the flash needs to be formatted and you may need to do a xmodem recovery to get the box up and running.

What type of router is it ?

Here are the instructions on how to do a xmodem recovery

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/130/xmodem_generic.html

It is a 1721 with a T1 module installed.

Yes, I get teh message that there is no magic number, but I usually can not enter any commands, and sometimes when I can I am not able to enter the enable command or exit command.

I will give the xmodem a shot...I'll post what happens..... Thanks, Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: