cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route choose

blue4cisco
Level 1
Level 1

in our L3 3650 switch we are routing (outbound) network 192.168.0.0/19 through Tunnel1 as well as serial1 interface of router directly attached to our switch, now i want ask what route this network will use to reach it's destination ? switch's tunnel or router serial inteface ? i mean thr r two routing path of same netwok

4 Replies 4

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Can you provide more information( show ip route, static route statements) from your setup.

You can issue the command "show ip route 192.168.0.0" in your L3 switch to find out which route is in use.

If both the routes are valid for the destination, then your switch will be load balancing between them.

But I couldn't understand why you have a tunnel1 in the switch and a route pointing to the router also. Can you provide more info on this and an outline of your setup to understand the scenario.

-VJ

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

agreed,

perform a 'show ip route 192.168.0.0' and see which entry has an '*'. this will be the route the next packet sent will use. (candidate default)

if in load balancing mode by packet, due to two routes to same destination, then the '*' will change to the next route, per packet.

we added this route 192.168.0.0/19 switch . does this cover 192.168.40.0,192.168.41.0 serise route too ? or not , i mean any broadcast our server send through switch will reach upto above stated netwok too ?

Hi,

The notation 192.168.0.0/19 include the following ip address range

192.168.0.0 to 192.168.31.0

Broadcast originated from your server will only be contained in the originating vlan.

Hope this helps

-VJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: