cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route selection question: Feasible successors in EIGRP

mpeppers
Level 1
Level 1

This may be a stupid question, but I am having trouble working out how a feasible successor is selected. As I understand it:

In a situation where there are multiple routes to a given destination, EIGRP computes the cost of each link (based on constants that weight the following: bandwidth, delay, link status, reliability, and MTU, with only the first two being defaults) to determine the best route(s), this route(s) is named the successor and its cost is the feasible distance/advertised distance/reported distance (Are these synonymous?). In order to avoid recalculations, EIGRP also looks for feasible successors, which replace the successor route if it becomes unavailable. Any other route may be a feasible successor if its cost is less then the feasible distance/advertised distance/reported distance. I am confused about how those feasible successors are chosen. If another route has a cost that is less then the feasible distance, wouldn't it be the successor? I am obviously missing something here.

Mike

(another CCNP hopefull)

3 Replies 3

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Feasible distance (FD) is the lowest metric/best path to a destination. Advertised/reported distance (AD) is the metric sent to the local router by the advertising/next hop router. FD = AD + the cost of the local router to get to the next hop (who advertises the AD). Remember cost/metric is calculated by the bandwidth/delay leaving an interface, so that must be taken into account in the FD (ie the cost to get to the router that sent the AD).

For a route to enter the eigrp toplogy table, the AD must be less than the FD.

Hope it helps.

Steve

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

HI,

Advertised distance is distance from the neighbor to the destination.

Feasible distance is distance from you to the destination.

A----B----C.

A , B, C are 3 routers connected serially. A Network X on C, will be advertised by B to A. Distance (Total) from A to network X is feasible distance.

Distance of B to network X is called advertised distance.

Now if another router D is connected to A and C (not to B), that is A has a parallel link to C through D, D will also advertise the same route X to A. NOw A is in a dilemma to find out which route to use.

To solve this, comes Feasibility condition. It states, that feasible distance to network X through any other neighbor (this distance is called Reported distance or Advertised distance) should be less than the current feasible distance. See the following example.

A----B----C-x

|-----D-------|

|------E-------|

A has 3 neighbors B, D, E.

I am assuming, A has equal distance of 30 to neighbors B, D, E.

Assume B reports (reported or advertised) its FD to X as 20. and A's FD to network X be 20+A's distance to B = 50.

Now D reports an FD to X as 30 which is less than 50 (A's current FD), D wil be eligible as a Feasible successor. (Note that A's distance to X through D would be 30+30=60, which is greater than 50 and hence wont be there in routing table, but since its eligible as Feasible successor, it will be there in topology table.

If another neighbor E reported FD to X as 60, which is greater than 50, E wont be eligible to become a feasible successor.

Hope its clear.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for the help, I knew that I was missing something obvious.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: