Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Routed Bridged Encapsulation (platforms, IOS releases and etc.)

I need connect Cisco 828 with remote bridge, using aal5snap and RBE. But I can't find out any of IOS releases that really supports RBE on 828.. Is it possible to use RBE on Cisco828? Also I'm interested in other CPE platforms that supports RBE (our ISP using switches). Thanks for help!

6 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Routed Bridged Encapsulation (platforms, IOS releases and et

Hi,

RBE is used at the ISP side routers and CPE's use PPPoE, PPPoATM or RFC1438

RBE is the process to terminate the point to point connection from the CPE to a routed interface on the ISP equipment, thereby the packets from the CPE can be routed. Before RBE was introduced, all the point to point connections would be terminated onto a single bridge group at the ISP end.

CPE's do not support RBE.

I'm sorry,some missunderstanding, I understand term RBE, but I have a switch at ISP side and I need to use router at customer site. I can't use bridging at customer site. I don't find any actual information about platforms that can use RBE, thats why I'm interested... Could your inform me about RBE in Cisco 828 or in other "light" platfoms?

Silver

Looks like the lowest platform to support RBE are the Cisco 3600's. Check this link, see supported platform

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t2/dtatmrbe.htm

Could you please explain in detail what your requirement is, what type of switch you are having at the ISP side and the type of connection between the ISP and CPE?

Well, btw I used RBE at 1760 with WIC-1SHDSL, it works fine. Ok, I'll try to explain now. ISP has MPLS VPN and one of the parts of it is the Cat2950 switch and I need to connect one of the offices to the ISP (I need intergate it in VPN of customer). I have only 2-pair wire last mile and ethernet port at ISP side. I maintain Zyxel 782M at ISP and connect it with g.shdsl port of router. I hoped that Cisco 828 would work also, but Feature Navigator as I see was incorrect. And then I tring to find some information about RBE platforms and releases :) Thank your for your attention!

Silver

This is out of my area of expertise. I hope someone will come up with an answer on this. I would appreciate it if you could post the results of what you find. Good luck !!

CSE tell me that RBE present on 828 platform till 12.8T and may be possible use routing without rbe, but I still not test it. I'll test it and write complete results of my short research. Good luck!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content