Level 1

I have 2 Layer 3 switch connected via infrared

Sw_A-----------InfraRed---------------Sw_B

Sw_A have 2 vlans

Sw_B have 2 vlans

Sw_B is where the internet connectivity is

Sw_B is therefore the default gateway of Sw_A

Question.

1. Am I violating any routing rule if i created VLAN_X on both switches with 2 DIFFERENT IP ADDRESS but on the SAME SUBNET? This vlans are where I am connecting the infrareds.

With this setup, I have no problem connecting to the internet..but somehow, I was having a strange problem on Sw_A where the network is intermittently going so slow.

Is my setup, using 2 IP address on the same vlan (but 2 diff physical switch) creates some sort of a loop?

2. Or is this the case where I should be using the routed interface on Sw_B and assigning an IP address with the same subnet as VLAN_X?

Thanks a lot

5 Replies 5

amarsjoshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is layer-3 active on both the switches ?

You have mentioned creating VLAN_X on both switches with diff ip address -- layer 3 interfaces or just ips for management access ?

yes layer 3 is active...ospf is running on them...in routing is ok, in fact everybody can go to the internet

truegrit13
Level 1
Level 1

Bear in mind that although you can assign you LANs with the same VLAN ID, the network addresses differ. Which means different default GW address, different Boardcast addresses, etc

If you do what you've suggested (point 1), you'll still need to route between the VLANs to reach the destination networks.

From what you have discribed, you already have a default route from Sw_A to Sw_B. You will also need to ensure you can route back from Sw_B to Sw_A for each VLAN on Sw_A. This can easily be done by using static routes.

Bear in mind that although you can assign you LANs with the same VLAN ID, the network addresses differ. Which means different default GW address, different Boardcast addresses, etc

THE VLANX I HAVE CREATED ON THE 2 SWITCHES ARE OF SAME SUBNET. MEANS SAME BROADCAST ADDRESS. ONLY DIFF IP ADDRESSES.

If you do what you've suggested (point 1), you'll still need to route between the VLANs to reach the destination networks.

ROUTING BET VLANS ARE OK..OSPF IS RUNNING...IN FACT THEY ALL CAN GO TO THE INTERNET THRU SWITCH B AS I SAID..MY ONLY PROB IS THE INTERMITTENTLY SLOWING OF THE NETWORK..

From what you have discribed, you already have a default route from Sw_A to Sw_B. You will also need to ensure you can route back from Sw_B to Sw_A for each VLAN on Sw_A. This can easily be done by using static routes.

THIS WAS DYNAMICALLY LEARNED BY THE OSPF, THOUGH I PUT DEF ROUTE ON SWITCH A, POINTING TO SWITCH B.

OK your problem is likely to be Your IR connection