cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 17xx FastEthernet always pingable

Markus Pethe
Level 1
Level 1

We have an Cisco 1721 Router at an RemoteSite with an single PC attached directly to the Router FastEthernet Interface. When the PC is turned of the FasEth also goes down. Is there an trick to become always an response to an ping to the FastEthernets IP-Adresse even when the PC behind is down.

btw

We are not abele to create an Loopback on the Router.

7 Replies 7

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

What I can think of is connect one switch or hub between a router and PC so that even when PC is down fast ethernet interface will be up.

Regards,

Ankur

haris.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi mate try assiginig a seconadary ip address to your fastethernet of a new subnet

or use a small hub in between rtr & usr's PC

Hi Haris,

Even if you assign a secondary ip address with new subnet and there is no physical connectivity the fast ethernet interface will be down.

There should be a physical connection or loopback (physical or via CLI) to keep the interface up.

Regards,

Ankur

thanks for correcting me....

regards

hairs

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi, You can also try one thing more. Try " noo keepalive " under the FE interface and it will bring your interface up/up with PC down or without connecting anything.

I havenot tested whether it replies or not. just check and keep us posted.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Thank you it's working on my Testrouter. Now I have to convince my Provider to make it so...

Thank you all for your fast responses!

hechangqing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I think that is impossibility. when pc is turn off we can not ping to pc.Sorry!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco