cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router and Cluster Question

robertparis
Level 1
Level 1

I have been unable to find an answer to this question was hoping someone here would be able to help me.

I am currently working on an application and setup for a small business and I have a question about using a router for clustering.

I know that in a usual cluster setup, you have a router that goes to a load-balancer/dispatcher which then dispatches requests to the clustered servers. The problem is that this is a small business - they can't afford three servers (nor two and a load-balancer). However, the business needs fail-over as they rely on this application being up all-day long. I am wondering if the capabilities of commonly used routers today allow me to do one of the following:

(In this scenario, the router is connected to two servers)

1. Send requests to one server unless that one doesn't respond, and then automatically switch to sending requests to the other?

2. Send requests to both servers at once? i.e. duplicate the requests and send to all connected servers?

In #1, my software would handle replication/clustering of the two server's data/sessions.

Am I looking at the wrong thing? Is there another way to do this with just two servers?

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

mikegallagher
Level 1
Level 1

No, a router does not do this. You need a content switch and two servers. If it is that critical, then they need to fork up the money. If they don't, if obviously not that critical.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: