cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router and related question

otnj2ee
Level 1
Level 1

Try to do the web hosting. The Web Server will host about 10 web applications for the public access (from several hundreds to a couple of thousands people to concurrently access). This server will be located in a Server-Hosting-Company which will use T1/T3 line to connect with the Internet. My web server will be placed in the hosting company's server room (This means that the hosting company will take care of the internet connection, while my server in turn will connect to the company's LAN system). . Now my questions are:

1) I would like to have a router to act as a firewall, switch, VPN, and to support the DMZ. There is only the data pass though (no sound and vedio is required)

Of course, the faster, the better. But I would also take the budget into the consideration, so the router should resasonably get the job down, but not be over spended on. Which Cisco routers fits better: 1801 or 2801, or else?

2) This router will not connect to a DSL or T1 or T3, instead, it will directly plug into the server room's LAN system, can I hook it up using the router's Ethernet port?

3) To place a web cache machine in the DMZ, can I connect the Web Cache machine to the router's Ethernet port? Or, is there a port SPECIALLY for the DMZ to make the connection?

Many thanks.

Scott

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

1800s are fixed configs with only wic slots, and you dont need wic slots in your app.

Get a 2811 for a min, it will have two fastE interfaces or you can get a 2821 or 2851 which have 2 GigE ports onboard. You can use IOS firewal feature on the router and also can do VPN. You need to get the Advanced security or higher feature set and an AIM card if you plan to terminate a lot of VPN connections.

To support a DMZ switch on the router itself you can buy a module such as NM-16ESW - 16 port switch and put your servers there. You can use ACLS and CBAC to permit specific traffic going to these web servers.

IOS firewall wont be truly the same as using a dedicated firewall such as PIX or ASA. So I would recommend using a PIX firewall for this purpose.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: