Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router as a bridge

hello all,

can i configure cisco 2800 series router as a bridge? if yes how it works for ethernet.

i want to configure 2800 as a bridge

please help me out.

Thanking you.

sham

5 Replies 5

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Sham,

You can use a bride-group to bridge traffic accross a link.

See the Transparent Bridging section in the configuration guide for 12.4

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fibm_c/bcfpart1/bcftb.htm

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

To enable bridging give the following commands in each router.

"int e0

ip add

bridge-group 10

int s0

encapsulation hdlc

bridge-group 10

bridge-group 10 protocol ieee"

Both the LAN ips will not ping to each other, hence you can check its working only by pinging remote PC.

Pls rate helpful posts

Regards

JD

In the original post Sham was not specific about whether he wanted to bridge IP traffic or wants to bridge some other kind of traffic. The config given by JD will work fine for bridging non-IP traffic but will not bridge IP traffic. At least it will not bridge IP on int e 0.

If you want to really make the router into a bridge and bridge everything including bridging IP traffic then you can add this command to JD's config:

no ip routing

The other alternative to consider is IRB. Integrated Routing and Bridging gives you the ability to bridge IP on some interfaces and to route traffic on some interfaces. IRB involves configuring a Bridge Virtual Interface. The BVI gets an IP address, the interfaces where you want to bridge IP do not get IP addresses (could be LAN or could be WAN interfaces). The BVI is the crossover between the bridged environment and the routed environment.

Perhaps Sham can clarify whether his interest is in bridging IP traffic or in bridging non-IP traffic. And if he needs more help he can ask clarification of his question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hello,

i have two routers connected by serial interfaces and on both the routers e0 lan is connected.

i want to bridge the ip trafic between both routers genrated from lans (s0-s0) and on other interfaces i want to enable routing.

so help me out.

thanks

sham.

Sham

If you want to route IP on some interfaces and bridge IP on other interfaces you might look at CRP (Concurrent Routing and Bridging). But if you want traffic to flow between the routed interfaces and the bridged interfaces then you need IRB (Integrated Routing and Bridging) and I suspect that is what you will need. This link should give you enough information to understand it and to begin to configure it:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fibm_c/bcfpart1/bcftb.htm#wp1002244

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: